Dr. William Randall Cone Jr, DMD
Dr. William Randall Cone, Jr. is from Potomac, Maryland outside of Washington DC. He received his Bachelor of Science degree in Exercise Sciences at Brigham Young University where he was captain of the Men’s Lacrosse Team and led the team to 4 consecutive MCLA final four appearances. He also served as full-time, Spanish-speaking missionary in Puerto Rico for 2 years. Following undergraduate and missionary service, Dr. Cone accepted a military scholarship, commissioned into the United States Air Force, and earned his D.M.D degree at CASE Western Reserve University School of Dental Medicine. He then went on to an AEGD residency in the Air Force followed completion of oral & maxillofacial surgery training at David Grant USAF Medical Center in northern California. Dr. Cone has been the Chief of the Oral Surgery department in the 11th Medical Group at Andrews Air Force Base in Washington DC for last 4 years. Dr. Cone in dual-board certified by the American Board of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery and the National Board of Dental Anesthesiology.
Dr. Cone lives in Brentwood with his wife, Mindy, 11-year-old daughter Aubrey, 10-year-old son Patton, 4-year-old triplets Mitchell, Bradley, and Annie, and 3-year-old son Hap. He enjoys athletics, outdoors activities, automobiles and continues to serve in the Air National Guard.
2019 – TUCK SCHOOL OF BUSINESS AT DARTMOUTH – Hanover, NH
Next Step: Transition to Business
Highly selective on-campus certificate program taught by MBA faculty designed for military veterans and elite athletes focusing on leadership development, strategy, financial analysis, spreadsheet modeling, and business communication.
2012-2016 – 60TH MEDICAL GROUP UNITED STATES AIR FORCE – Travis AFB, CA
Certificate – Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery (OMFS)
Highly selective and rigorous 4-year surgical residency at the United States Air Force’s flagship hospital center integrating high quality, full-scope, didactic education, clinical diagnostic training, surgical skills and research in the discipline of oral & facial surgery.
2010-2011 – 60TH MEDICAL GROUP UNITED STATES AIR FORCE – Travis AFB, CA
Certificate – Advanced Education General Dentistry (AEGD)
Competitive one-year program of advanced training in complex general dentistry and dental specialty skills including restorative dentistry, pediatric dentistry, orthodontics, prosthodontics, periodontics, endodontics and oral/maxillofacial surgery.
2006-2010 – CASE WESTERN RESERVE UNIVERSITY SCHOOL OF DENTISTRY – Cleveland, OH D.M.D. – Clinical Dentistry
Student Body President; Delta Dental Student Leadership Award; USAF HPSP
1998-2005 – BRIGHAM YOUNG UNIVERSITY – Provo, UT
B.S. – Exercise Sciences
Captain – Men’s Lacrosse Team; Selection to Team USA West for international competition
- Diplomate – American Board of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
- Distinguished Graduate – U.S. Air Force Commissioned Officer Training School
- Spanish Language Fluent
- Avid athlete – completed USAF marathon, multiple triathlons, challenge races
- Enjoys outdoor activities – trekked Alaska’s Arctic National Wildlife Refuge, winter ascent of Mt. Rainier
2016 – Present UNITED STATES AIR FORCE – Joint Base Andrews, MD
Dept Chief-Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, 11th Dental Squadron USAF, DC (2018)
- Officer in Charge – leads all operations of 11th Dental Squadron Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery Element
- Manages 10 providers & technicians providing $1.4M worth of care to 50k service members in the NCR
- Monitors squadron parenteral sedation, biopsy, pharmacy, nitrous oxide, and human tissue tracking programs
- Implemented new anesthesia techniques reducing opioid exposure to military service members
- Planned and executed a moderate sedation course consisting of 40 hrs multi-specialty instruction continuing education for military providers throughout the National Capital Region.
2016 – Present – UNIFORMED SERVICES UNIVERSITY OF HEALTH SCIENCES (2016) – Bethesda, MD
Adjunct Professor – Clinical Dentistry/Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery – Walter Reed Military Medical Center
- Didactic & clinical training of dental residents in oral surgery and moderate sedation techniques
- Clinical training of OMFS residents in full scope oral & maxillofacial surgery
- Featured lecturer at United States Naval Post-Graduate Dental School
2011 – 2012 – UNITED STATES AIR FORCE – Travis AFB, CA
Staff Dentist, 60th Dental Squadron USAF, DC (2011-2012)
- Provided clinical dentistry – 60th Dental Squadron USAF Dental Clinic of the Year Award